Sunday, June 29, 2014

Something Right

I have been questioning may things for the past couple of weeks:

Are they going to like the new house?
Will they be OK here?
Will they prefer to be with their dad?
Am I doing the right thing?
Will they be happy?
Will it all come together?
Can I do this?

And the list goes on and on.  It only took minutes when they got home from their four week adventure in California to answer most of my questions, all positive results.  There are times when I feel like my 10 year old daughter is wiser than I am.  How does that happen?  She uses the most adult vision and mature language to express how she is feeling.  She is also very careful to protect her brother when doing so.

My oldest son really is the best brother my younger kids could ever have.  He literally lives his life around where they are in their lives.  It was hard for him, with this separation, because he did not want to hurt me or his dad.  He did not want to say NO to living with either of us.  He sat down with me and had some ideas of where he was going to live, on his own, but his biggest concern?  Making sure he lived close enough to the high school that his brother could walk to his house.  Now, that is extreme sibling love.  This is the same child that decided not to go away to college because he did not want to leave his baby sister.  He was so afraid he would miss out on things in their lives.  Don't get me wrong, my kids fight and argue, they are siblings, but moments like these make me feel like I definitely did something right.

Then there is my lovely teenage boy.  I really worried the most about him.  He has had the most difficult relationship with their dad.  I don't want him to give up on their relationship or write his dad off.  He came home with a better attitude as well.  He is overly protective of me, but I think them seeing what I accomplished in their absence really made him realize that I am OK.  It is time for him and his dad to work on their relationship, outside of me.

There have been many great memories in this new house already.  Listening to my kids talk and laugh in the kitchen, seeing them help each other complete their rooms, all of us sitting in my bedroom just talking, cooking our first dinner here, baking our celebration cake and the laughter, oh I love the laughter.  My baby girl said it best today, "I already feel like we are all happier Mom".  I did something right.



No comments:

Post a Comment