Thursday, January 14, 2016

Zumba Love









I was asked a question today that I have spent much time pondering:

How did you become so positive?

Let me begin by saying I have not ever really been a negative person; however, like anyone else I have had a moments of negativity.  I have even found myself lost in it, unable to see any silver lining.  I was not looking for a way out of my misery when I happened to find the cure.  I was still living day by day, no goal other than to make it through the day without feeling lower than the day before.  Cautiously watching the walls around me and hoping they would not close in on me.  Carefully putting a smile on my face in all the appropriate moments, especially in front of my children.  

For many months I had been attending this new exercise class, slowly catching on and meeting some nice people.  Little did I know that these amazing individuals would become my zumba family.  Supportive is not a strong enough word to describe what they provided to me during my lowest days.  Sympathetic, helpful, encouraging, parental, loving, reassuring and available are just few of the terms that quickly come to mind thinking of them.  In my lifetime I have had many friends, circle of friends and even best of friends; yet none compare to the embrace my zumba family has provided me.  I was never alone.  

There were many dark times during divorce process, but not for one single moment did I feel alone.  My zumba family cared for me in ever moment and celebrated even the smallest of victories with me.  Their strength built held me up.  It did not matter if they agreed with me or not - the wall of love stood.  I remember, very clearly, the first day I felt I could breathe again.  Like they were aware of that very moment of emotion our fearless leader, Kelly, dedicated a song to me in class, Fight Song.  I heard every single word that day, I let those words in like each of them were giving me a hug.  

This life experience will stay with me forever.  I learned so many lessons.  Those that know me well also know that I am not a very trusting person.  I believe that trust is earned, loyalty is given.  These zumba angels cleared the way for me to see the positive in my negative moments.  I was loyal in making it to class but it was really the trust I had in their love that kept me coming.  

Obviously it is an understatement, but Thank You my Zumba Family, I love you beyond words.

No comments:

Post a Comment