Monday, November 9, 2015

Meeting Henry

I remember meeting him and feeling rude because I did not realize he went to the same school as we did.  He introduced himself and laughed as his little sister jumped on me.  My girlfriend and I had been babysitting his siblings as well as another families children.  It was my friend, Patricia's, job - I just came along to keep her company.

His name was Henry, he was in the same grade as Patricia and I.  I didn't recall ever seeing him around school.  We were all juniors in high school and he obviously did not run in the same circle as we did.  I am sure that sounds just as stuck up now as it was back then.  He hung out with us for a while and then took his siblings home.  I didn't think anything of the encounter.

The next week at school I noticed him in the halls and returned the hello he gave me.  My friends and I were pretty wrapped up in our own worlds, not paying attention to much else.

The next weekend Patricia was unable to babysit for Henry's sisters so she asked me if I could do it.  I, liking money, said it wasn't a problem.  I enjoyed the little monsters and we had a good evening.  At the end of the night Henry came home from work and that was the end of my babysitting shift.  He went into his room, changed his clothes and then sat down on the couch.  We made small talk and when I said it was time for me to go he asked if I would like to go out with him sometime.  This is where I am sure I will make myself sound horrible, but the truth was promised.  I sat there for a minute, almost shocked that he asked me out.  I was shocked because our circles were very different.  My circle was more of the popular group and his was the newspaper staff, smart kids.  Realizing that I had not answered I quickly agreed, gathered my things and left.

Heading home I was consumed with thoughts about my friends and what they may think of this "date".  What had I gotten myself into?


No comments:

Post a Comment