The 4 AM Accountants
This morning I went through a batch of new LinkedIn connections, the way I do most days. Twenty-three people. Bookkeepers, CPAs, fractional CFOs, a couple of firm partners, a few business owners.
Nine of them were outside the United States.
Canada twice. Brazil twice. The Philippines twice. India. Pakistan. Latvia. The UK. And I sat there for a minute looking at that list, because it says something about this profession that I do not think we talk about enough.
Every one of those people does work I would recognize instantly. Reconciling. Categorizing. Closing the month. Chasing the receipt that never comes. Explaining to a client, again, why the number they remember is not the number in the file. Same job. Same frustrations. Same quiet pride in a clean set of books.
The only real difference is what time it is where they are sitting.
What 3 PM actually means
We run our free training week at 3 PM Central. When I write that in an email it looks like a neutral fact. It is not. Here is what that same hour looks like around the world:
- 3 PM in Chicago
- 4 PM in Atlanta
- 2 PM in Denver
- 5 PM in Belo Horizonte
- 9 PM in Manchester
- 11 PM in Riga
- 1 AM in Gilgit
- 1:30 AM in Ahmedabad
- 4 AM in Bicol
Read that list again slowly, because the bottom of it is the part that matters.
There are accountants and bookkeepers who would have to get up at four in the morning to attend a session that I casually describe as "live at 3." And some of them do. I have had people tell me, cheerfully, that they set an alarm for something I scheduled without a second thought about their sleep.
That is humbling, and it should be.
The profession is already global, whether or not anyone announced it
If you run a firm in the United States, here is the reality you are already living in.
The bookkeeper serving a construction client in Texas may be sitting in the Philippines, and she may know job costing and retainage better than the last three local candidates you interviewed. The team handling US GAAP and US tax filings for a cross-border client may be in Brazil, working in your rulebook, holding two accounting systems in their head at once. The person building the AI agent that will do a chunk of your monthly close in eighteen months might be in Pakistan right now, watching a recording at two in the morning because that was the only way to see it.
This is not a warning and it is not a threat. It is just true, and it has been true for a while.
What it means practically is that the moat around any of us is no longer geography. It is not proximity to the client either, not really, not since everything went remote. What is left is judgment, relationships, and how much of the mechanical work you have managed to stop doing by hand.
That last one is the only part you fully control.
Replays are not a courtesy
Here is the thing I got wrong for a while, and I want to be honest about it.
When we started running training, I thought of the recordings as a nice extra. Something for the person who got pulled into a client emergency and missed a Wednesday. A backup.
For a huge portion of the people who want this, the recording is not the backup. It is the entire product. If you are in Manila or Karachi or Ahmedabad, "come to the live session" is not an invitation, it is a polite way of saying this was not built for you.
So we changed how we talk about it. Every session is recorded. The replays go to everyone who registers, not to a subset, not on request, not for an extra fee. If you never attend a single live hour and do the whole thing on replay at a sensible hour in your own timezone, you did the week. That counts. You are not a second-class participant for living somewhere else.
I would rather say that plainly than let people quietly conclude the thing is not for them.
What I have noticed about the 4 AM crowd
They finish.
I do not have a rigorous study for you, just a pattern I keep seeing. The people for whom this is genuinely inconvenient, who are watching recordings at odd hours around a full day of client work, are frequently the ones who come back having actually built something. Not because they are smarter. Because the friction filtered for motivation. Nobody gets up at four in the morning for something they are lukewarm about.
Meanwhile the person twenty minutes away for whom the session is trivially convenient sometimes never opens the recording at all.
There is a lesson in that, and it is not really about accounting. Convenience is not the same thing as commitment. If you have been meaning to learn this and keep not getting to it, the obstacle probably was never the schedule.
So here is the invitation, and it is for all of you
We run a free week of live training for accounting and finance people. One hour a day, five days, live at 3 PM Central, every session recorded. Free means free. No card, nothing renews, nothing turns into a bill later.
You will not sit and watch someone talk about AI. You will build agents that do real work, the categorizing and the reconciling and the client report, and hand it back to you finished for your review. No coding. If you can explain how you do a task the way you would explain it to a new hire, you can build an agent that does it.
The next weeks are September 7, September 14, and September 28.
And if you are reading this from somewhere that makes 3 PM Central absurd, register anyway. Take the replays. Claim your free agent when you sign up. Then tell me what time would actually work where you are, because I am genuinely collecting that, and enough answers would change the schedule.
The work is the same everywhere. The clock should not decide who gets to learn this.
👉 Free week of training: https://humansplusagents.ai/legacy-sbc-aia 👉 Claim your free AI agent: https://aiaccounting.legacysbc.com/claim-agent 👉 Join the free community: https://aiaccounting.legacysbc.com/community
— Yvonne Razo, Co-Founder, AI for Accounting
No comments:
Post a Comment