Thursday, October 10, 2013

Positive Ju-Ju

Have you ever had that friend that believes in the power of positive thinking so much that you start believing it also?  I have such a friend.  Honestly, it took me a while to buy into the whole deal, but I am a firm believer. 

Those of you that follow me know that I talk about my ups and my downs.  Fortunately, I have not had any downs for a while.  I made a real effort at removing people from my life that are negative, drama and/or contribute zero to our relationship.  I feel like we all treat our "partners" in life that way.  We expect the give and take.  Shouldn't that be true with all relationships?  Picture each relationship like it is a tetter-totter (TT); each person being on one side of the TT.  When you give, this means effort not material items, your side goes up and the other side goes down.  When they give back your side goes back down and theirs comes back up.  There should be some balance there.  Can you visually imagine it? 

I used this process to decide what relationships in my life were healthy.  Oddly some of the relationships I thought to be the closest were extremely out of balance.  Even if you try to validate it by saying "I'm a giver", it does not make it OK.  I thought these relationships were important because of the attention I gave them, not what we did for each other.  I immediate made a decision to remove those from my life that were grossly out of balance. 

I am not claiming this is an easy process, but do you want to know a secret?  Amazing things have been happening around and to me since I began doing this.  I have surrounded myself with positive, drama-free people that contribute to my life in the same manner.  Call it what you want, but it works.

So, Michelle, my BFF, thank you for shining the positive light in my life in a consistent fashion.  I may be slow, but when I get it, I really get it.  We have been through much together, good and bad, and have always come out stronger.  You not only light up my life (everyone break into song), you also light up my heart.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment