Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Lessons in Friendship


I have had some amazing things happen in the last few weeks.  Things that are not all necessarily good but the lesson in it was helpful and educational. 

I think we tend to forget who is there for us until they need us or we need them.  True friends come out of the wood works during those times.  Not that they were hiding before.  It isn't mandatory to be in someones every day life to have a strong connection and attachment.  On the flip side there are people that go from being in our lives daily and they just disappear.  To me, that is their choice.

Recently I asked a friend of mine to describe me.  This individual has known me for well over 20 years.  His description?  "An amazing person that if you are lucky enough for her to call you friend is loyal to the end".  I found those to be the kindest words I have ever heard.  I then asked someone the same question that has known me for about a year.  His description?  "A strong, out-going, independent and beautiful woman".  Although I do not hate this description I see the difference, do you? 

A close friend of mine has been going through a rough change in her life.  She is a strong, proud and loving woman.  Sometimes I feel as if she does not feel she has others to lean on.  I am SO incredibly glad I took the time to push her to sharing with me.  Not only did she get through the issue, but we both found ourselves back where we belonged, as friends, true friends.

I have been saying for years that I will not chase people to be in my life.  Although this approach can hurt sometimes, I have found it be more rewarding in the long run.  Two way relationships are the only ones that survive.  If someone wants to be in your life and wants you in theirs they will put out just as much energy as you do to make it happen.

I also received some helpful advice recently.  It came from a source I have not seen in over 20 years.  It was simple advice, having to do with me writing my book, but it was advice I needed.  I am so grateful for those in my life.  Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment