The quiet ones registered. The enthusiastic ones did not.
I have been keeping score this week, and the result is not what I expected.
Three people told me they were signing up for the free week. Not vaguely. One wrote "I am going to sign up, thank you." Another said "will do." A third said "sure." All three meant it at the moment they typed it. I have no doubt about that.
None of them has registered.
Two other people registered. Neither of them said a word to me about it first. One of them signed up four hours after she heard the week existed, and I only found out because the confirmation landed in my inbox. She never told me she was thinking about it. She just did it and got on with her day.
That is a small sample and I am not going to pretend it is a study. But I have watched this shape often enough now to stop treating it as a coincidence.
Saying you will do a thing is not the first step toward doing it. For a lot of us, it is the thing we do instead.
Why announcing it makes it less likely
There is a decent body of work on this, and the uncomfortable version goes like this: telling someone your intention gives you some of the satisfaction of having acted on it. The social credit arrives early. You have already been seen as the sort of person who is going to learn this, fix this, start this. The part of you that wanted to be seen that way is now fed.
And the actual task, which is still sitting there untouched, has quietly become less urgent.
I am not above this. I have a list of things I have told people I was going to do this year, out loud, with enthusiasm, and a shorter list of things I have actually done. The two lists barely overlap. The things I finished are almost all things I never mentioned to anyone until they were finished.
If that describes you too, then the useful thing is not to feel bad about it. The useful thing is to notice that the moment you feel like replying "I'll sign up" is precisely the moment to sign up instead, because the reply is going to cost you the doing.
Now the part where I have to eat my own argument
On Monday I published a piece arguing that a thing with no cost has no deadline, and that free offers collect people who are never going to turn up because nothing forces the issue.
That same evening, we cancelled the October week.
Which meant that a few hours after publishing that argument, I had sent nearly four thousand people an email telling them there were two free weeks left and that they had until the second of October to register for the second one. That is now wrong. It was wrong before the day was out.
I am sending a correction today, and I want to be straight about why, because the easy thing would have been to let it go and hope nobody had picked October.
Some of you did pick October. You read that email, decided the later date suited you better, and put it out of your mind. On the twenty-fifth of September you would have gone looking for a week that does not exist, and you would have found a closed door and no explanation.
I made the exact mistake I had spent that morning writing about. I gave people a date far enough away to be comfortable, and comfortable dates are the ones nobody acts on.
So the correction is not just housekeeping. It is the argument, demonstrated on myself, in public, four hours after I made it.
What is actually true now
There is one free week left.
Monday 28 September to Friday 2 October. Registration closes Friday 25 September.
There is nothing behind it. No October week, no November week, no quiet relaunch in the new year under a different name. We are ending them because they have done their job, and because a free thing that never ends stops being an offer and becomes furniture.
An hour a day, five days, live at 3 PM Central. Every session recorded, so if you are in India or the Philippines or the UK and 3 PM Central is the middle of your night, register anyway — registering is what gets you the replay. That is the actual reason to register, not attendance. I have watched too many people in other time zones quietly decide it was not for them because they could not make the live hour.
No card, nothing renews, and nothing is sold to you during it.
Who it is for, and it is broader than it looks
I specialise in accounting, so most people assume this is a bookkeepers' week. It is not.
It is for the business owner who is the finance department after everyone goes home. The CEO who wants to understand what these tools actually do before someone sells her a platform. The operations person who has sixteen spreadsheets and a recurring headache. The staff member whose job involves a great deal of typing that a machine could do while she checks it.
If your work contains a repetitive layer that you have privately accepted as the cost of the job, the week is for you.
The one thing I would ask
Do not reply to this to tell me you are coming.
I mean that kindly. I like hearing from people and I read everything. But the reply is the trap. It will feel like progress, it will feel like a decision, and then the twenty-fifth will arrive and the decision will turn out to have been a feeling.
If you want the week, take the thirty seconds now and register. Then tell me, if you like, and I will be glad to hear it, because at that point the telling costs you nothing.
Register here: https://humansplusagents.ai/legacy-sbc-aia
Registration closes Friday 25 September. The week runs 28 September to 2 October. It is the last one.
Yvonne Razo is the founder of Legacy Small Business Consulting, CFO of Simple Academy, and co-founder of AI for Accounting. If a whole week is genuinely not realistic, claim a free agent instead — it is yours to keep either way. The community stays free and open long after the last free week has gone.
No comments:
Post a Comment