Monday, September 28, 2026

Stop Asking What It Is Worth. Ask What You Could Do With It.

 

Stop Asking What It Is Worth. Ask What You Could Do With It.

I was writing an email on Thursday and I typed a sentence I have now typed something like forty times this month. Normally a thousand dollars per person. Free right now, nothing renews, nothing expires.

I read it back and thought, that is a good sentence. It is clear, it is true, and it answers the first question anybody asks.

Then I watched what people did with it, and I changed my mind.

Here is what I got wrong. The moment you tell somebody the price of a free thing, you have turned it into a bargain. And a bargain is not something people do. A bargain is something people save. It goes in the drawer with the other good deals, you feel briefly clever about it, and then it is March.

I know this because I do it. I have a folder of free things I fully intend to get to. It is the best organized folder I own.

So I would like to stop talking about what it costs, because the cost was never the interesting part.

The question that actually decides it

The useful question is not what is this worth.

It is this. What would I be able to do in three weeks that I cannot do today?

That is a different question and it has a different kind of answer. Price is a claim somebody else makes about a thing. Capability is something you can test on a Tuesday afternoon with a real client file and find out for yourself.

What is actually in the arsenal

Nine belts, self paced, twenty seven worked examples. But belts and modules are not skills, so here is what comes out the other end, in the language of the actual job.

You can look at something you do every single month and tell whether it should be a checklist, a prompt or an agent. Those are three different things and almost everybody treats them as one thing.

You can write the prompt that turns a month of messy transactions into a categorized draft. More to the point, you can tell when the draft is wrong, which is the skill nobody advertises.

You can build one agent around one real job with a quality check inside it, so that when it fails it fails loudly. Quiet failure is the entire risk. A tool that is wrong and confident is worse than no tool.

You can explain to a client, out loud and without hedging, why the machine's answer does not fit their situation. That has always been the billable skill. It was billable before any of this existed.

And you can sit in a meeting where somebody says we should be using AI for this, and be the person in the room who can say what that would actually involve, on Monday, with the staff you have.

Read that list again slowly and notice that none of it is about typing faster.

AI does the typing. You make the judgment calls. The course is about the second half.

The part that is less comfortable

There is a second reason to do this and it has nothing to do with your own workflow.

Businesses are paying for implementation help right now. Not for a talk about AI. For somebody to come in, set the thing up properly, and then stay long enough to be sure it has not quietly broken anything.

Almost nobody can do that work yet. Not because it is hard. Because the people who understand the tools have never closed a month in their lives, and the people who have closed a month have not been given a week to learn the tools.

You are already holding the half that takes ten years. The other half is the part being handed out.

What I am doing differently

I am going to stop leading with the price.

The honest version is this. It takes about an hour a day. Nothing renews, nothing expires, there is no card, and if you stop halfway through, nobody emails you about it.

That last part is genuinely a feature and it is also the danger, which is why I would put a day in the calendar rather than filing it somewhere safe. You already know which folder it would go in.

Start here if you are a bookkeeper or an accountant: https://humansplusagents.ai/legacy-sbc

Start here if you are anything else, and plenty of the people reading this are: https://humansplusagents.ai/legacy-sbc-aia

If you would rather try something smaller first, claim a free agent and point it at a real file this week: https://aiaccounting.legacysbc.com/claim-agent

The community is here, and it is free too: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1024923770013348

One last thing, and I am deliberately putting it last. If you own a practice, you can give this same course to every one of your clients, free, for good, with no cap on the number. I have been leading with that for a fortnight and I think it has been crowding out the thing that matters more, which is what you would be able to do yourself by the end of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment