Thursday, December 3, 2015

I'm Learning

Is there some sort of class I missed on how to handle adulthood?  Sitting in this meeting today I felt like there was something he knew and I didn't.  Like I missed the joke or was unsure of the conversation content.  The look in his eyes wasn't lust or want - it was more curiosity or something...something I missed completely.

I agreed to this meeting at first because it was a connection that pointed him to me.  Out of respect and honest curiosity I thought it only fair to entertain the conversation.  I arrived and he was waiting outside for me.  We exchanged an awkward "do we hug or do we shake hands" moment and from that laugh the ice was broken.

It has been many years since someone has shown such interest in my background and knowledge.  Not only did he seem interested but he understood what it took to have the knowledge base I have.  He also knew what an asset my knowledge was to his team.  He quizzed me on tax, small business and HR.  I felt like the most intelligent person, especially by his responses.  There is something to be said for someone not only appreciating your background but being impressed by it.

So - although I was just as impressed by him as he was me I do not think this will be a fit for my family.  I love my job now.  I love what I do and who I do it for.  I struggle with green team members but have learned to let them learn in their way.  I will forever have the challenge of my expectations of others as I take any failure as a team failure.  I will do what is asked of me, be grateful for a job I love and utilize the time I have outside my job to follow my passion...writing.


3 comments: