Friday, September 1, 2017

Day of Surgery

The morning of surgery I woke with many mixed feelings.  I was nervous, anxious, excited, scared and ready all in one.  My husband and I had prepared prior, so all I had to do was wake up and go.  While I was getting dressed I began to second guess what I was doing, if I should do it and why I was doing it.  The answers came to me pretty easily:


  • I was doing what was needed to give me a jump start on living a healthier life
  • I had tried everything else and hit a wall; it was time for a little help
  • I want to live and teach my children how to do it the right way
The drive to the hospital was long.  Thank goodness my husband was driving because my mind was racing and my heart was pounding.  I could not find that hospital even now because I have no recollection of the drive.

I remember walking into the hospital, signing in and waiting for my name to be called to register with the hospital.  We sat across from an elevator and passed the time people watching; something we both like to do.  At this point I was no longer questioning anything, however I was incredibly nervous.  Then it was our turn to register with the hospital.  I believe there was some type of issue, but truly can't remember what it was.  I know that it was handled, I paid and then a nurse came to get me and take me back to prepare for surgery.  Yes, it happened that quickly.

My husband was allowed to stay with me until they actually took me into surgery.  I found that very helpful.  He is my source of calm.  The male nurse that was helping us was hilarious, fighting with the other female nurse like an old married couple.  I became so comfortable that I did not have the anxiety, just the nerves.  If you have had anxiety, you know the difference. 

After all the questions, changing of clothes and such there was some down time.  I just got to lay there, holding my husbands hand and being as relaxed as you can be in this situation.  The next thing I knew the anesthesiologist came in.  He asked a few questions and I told him to make sure I did not wake up anytime during the procedure.  He told me "I am going to make you a cocktail to relax you".

Then I woke up and was being rolled into my after surgery room where my husband was waiting.


Picture before driving to the hospital for surgery.

1 comment: