Monday, April 15, 2013

Happy Anniversary


13 years ago today I said "I do" with the man of my dreams.  Before I met him I was convinced I would never get married and never have more children.  Not for the lack of men in my life, it was the lack of desire.

A friend of mine had signed up for Match.com and was positive it was the key to finding a good man.  I did not necessarily agree or care.  You see, I had a boyfriend at the time.  He lived in several hours for me and I only had to see him a couples times a month.  This type of relationship was perfect for me.  I was terribly low maintenance and I had zero desire to be a serious relationship.  He had a child, I had a child and we did not include them in our relationship. It was perfect.

Then my friend, lets call her Debbie, put that bug in my ear about Match.com.  I did not want to sign up and at that time you could look through profiles without having to pay.  I read at least 200 profiles for men in my area.  I honestly do not even remember what criteria I used to find my "match".  Out of all of those profiles I sent a message to one, yes just one, and that one person is my now husband, Richard Harrison.  He answered my message and from that day on we emailed every day for months.  It eventually grew into telephone conversations and at some point we decided to meet.  From memory I think it was tax season, March, when we first started communicating.  In July we decided it was time to meet.

We lived an hour apart.  I arranged for my son to stay with my parents and was going to head to Richard's house right after work.  I got home after work, to get ready, to a message from Richard on my answering machine (does anyone own one of those anymore?).  Richard was nervous and freaking out a little bit about us meeting.  I decided I was going anyway.  I was nervous also, but more anxious. 

I got in the car, turned on the radio and off I went.  The closer I got to his home the more nervous I became.  I parked outside his house, took a deep breathe and got out of the car.  As I walked up to the door I could feel my heart beating in my chest.  I knocked, waited.  Richard opened the door, smiled and said "lets get this over with" and kissed me.  Romantic right?  LOL  Let me tell you, the kiss was good, but he was right to do it, I felt so much better after.

There is so much to tell from then on, however I am going to save that for another time.  One thing I remember is my mom telling me she knew he was the one.  Why you ask?  She said because he wouldn't let me walk all over him.  You know what?  She was right.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this story! No matter how many times I hear it, it still makes me smile! I am so blessed to have you guys in my life. Congratulations on 13 wonderful years, can't wait to celebrate the next 13!

    ReplyDelete